THANK YOU to all the members who have purchased a $10 subscription, You have been entered into the monthly drawing from CHOPPEDBAGGERS the best Bagger Forum in the world!! Drawing is the last day of each month!
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    I am starting to know my way around!

75 FLH full air bagger sometimes...

This will sorta be a story of, instead of a build thread as the bike is pretty much finished. Just thought I would do a thread as I have been on here and have yet to really post about my bike.

I purchased the bike on my 21st birthday (12 years ago) It was own by a family friend that had moved to chicago and had rarely ridden it after the move. After agreeing on a price, 2 other friends and I loaded up and headed from wahoo,NE to chicago. The bike needed some work, but was in running order. It wasnt long after getting the bike back home that I started to do a few mods. Pulled some trim, different bars,21 wheel, dual exhaust and a few others.

First day I had it back, front brake was shot...

after about a week, this is where the bike was at. It stay at this point for about a year before I decided to paint it.

This was the first metal flake paint job I had ever done, the old man had some flake in the shop and I wanted to use it. It stayed this way till the tear down for the rebuild.

few changes over that time included, 16 apes, 67 rear swing arm and drum brake. PM front brake. Added driving lights back on. Jockey shift.

Site Supporter
    For Sale
    I dig it!!..Looks great!!
    It is what it is

So after the bike was in its finally pic, I decided to go to sturgis (2008) and see what it was all about. Made the ride up with out much of any problems...other than a saddle bag mount breaking. Rode around for a week and had a blast. On the way home, about an hour away from Sioux city, the stator went out and left me on the side of the interstate. Luckily a friend had a truck and trailer. We loaded it up and continued on.

After getting a new stator installed and bout a weeks worth of riding, The transmission decided to give up. The shifter dogs were toast and it was leaking like the exxon Valdez. After that, I pulled the trans out, to which that lead to a decision to pull the motor, to which lead to stripping the frame, on and on and on.

That started the 7 year build, 2 color changes, loads of headaches, 2 moves, 2 job changes and a hell of a lot of curse words.

The motor and trans were taken in for a complete rebuild. The cases and heads were sent off for a complete polishing job. The trans and other tid bits I did myself.

Starting of polishing...

Chopped Bagger Asset!
    Diggin' it so far. Can't wait to see more pics...

Some of this will be out of order, hard to go back 7 years and keep it all straight. lol

I stripped the frame to bare metal, primed and then smoothed the welds out with glaze. After that, one last prime and 2 coats of single stage black.

Site Supporter
    For Sale
    Holy smokes great work and great pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The original plans was front and rear air ride. I had used air cylinders prior, but had some troubles getting every thing to work with the older style front end. Eventually after finding this site, I went with Marcs pistons. Everything works great with the air ride now.

Originally I had painted the bike a heavy blue metal flake and pearl white 2 tone. At this point I was running a 21/16 wheel combo, eventually changing to a 21/18 and then to 23/18. In changing to the 23 front wheel that also changed the front fender, to which i did my best to try matching the blue and white, but after 2 failed attempts, I changed the color. While I changed the color, the rear fender was turned back 4 inches, changed the tail light, did some hammer and dolly work to finish the body lines on it as well. More on all that as the thread continues.

So after about a year of work, it was at this point...

Now, I had gotten to this point, was getting ready to start it. I went to kick it and the trans locked up. Apparently the guys that built it, never set the ratchet top correctly and it bound up, also the kicker cover was installed correctly, the clutch rod was jammed. At this point I was pissed. pulled the trans, to it to someone else to have it fixed. Long story short, the trans was fixed. Put it in the bike and was getting everything sorted to get it started. Also at this point, a relationship I was in went south fast. Ended up moving, bike literally sat in a corner for a few years. I had lost interest and just didnt want to finish it. I had bought another bike and was riding that all the time. So fast forward a few years, I had built 2 bikes for a couple friends and was running out of projects. I pulled mine out of the corner and set out to finish this thing....

For Sale
    Man I love a shovel
    NC

So bringing everything up to date.

I switched the front tubes and sliders to a later style from a 88 road king. I wanted a better looking rotor, hated the PM caliper mount for the 75 front forks (looks clunky and just cheap) I wanted a direct bolt on caliper. This also made it easier to use the pistons from marc and install lowering dampers .

The front fender idea came from torch industries, they had built a bike called pan dejo. Loved the front fender/23 wheel combo and had to have it. I ordered up a springer fender and got busy cutting and making it fit...

rear fender was a factory hinged fender, rolled back 4 inches, hinged area welded together and tail light raised back to the original spot. The rear fender body lines were also finished to match the front fender body lines.

Site Supporter
    For Sale
    I was 14 when I bought my first Harley. It was a '75 FLHS shovel basket case (laid down hard). Taught myself to wrench on that one . I rebuilt the motor, polished all the alum, laced & trued my own wheels, did the body work and painted it. I worked part time for a small HD shop after school assembling and prepping new bikes out of the crates, cleaning the shop and mopping floors. Hung out after hours with the tatted up, bearded, long hair mechanic (pretty cool dude to a 14 yr old) to watch & learn. This guy (Mike) took me under his wing and dragged me with him to swap meets and helped me learn the ropes and how/what to buy or trade for. My dad didn't really much approve of Mike's lifestyle but was a great father to let me pursue my passion. I rode this bike to school my senior year. Coolest guy in high school that found out quickly that bitches love shovel heads, lol. Carried tools with me and worked on it nearly every time I rode it but I loved it dearly. Great lookin shovel Ducky, really brings back fond memories of long hair, beards, tats, bitches and old school baggin. Got a bit of a tear in my eye but look forward to more pics of your sled.
    Last edited by ChoppedRoadie; 04-05-2015 at 10:27 PM.
    Tell me not to do something, I will do it twice and take pictures.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast