THANK YOU to all the members who have purchased a $10 subscription, You have been entered into the monthly drawing from CHOPPEDBAGGERS the best Bagger Forum in the world!! Drawing is the last day of each month!
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shak View Post
    Cool, I'm in. I just don't want to see the bag get twisted if you try to straighten it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks man, I think it was the top eyelet that would rotate. I was kinda surprised about it after all the posts about welding the Monroes.

I moved on to the stretching the bags, inspired by the DIY stretch threads here by DMC and Tcenzi. I ordered my material from US Composites, 1.5oz chopped mat, thin epoxy resin, and 2 part foam. I made up some forms and poured the foam in.

So this stuff gets the best expansion at 80* and since my garage is damn cold, I have moved the body shop into a room in the basement for the winter. I happen to have a portable electric fireplace in the basement, so time to throw on the shorts and heat it up.

I noticed that nobody ever pictures themselves but since I'm so damn good looking I thought I throw one in. I even have my 10 year old daughter learning a little about science on the 2nd bag. Now she wants to use the stuff to make all kinds of stuff. I hope I have some left for us.

You can see in the last picture that I used foil tape, don't use it, use the cheap duct tape, it releases much better. I used the foil tape on the first bag, but then took the forms and turned them inside out and used them on the other bag. I have used duct tape since.

Site Supporter
    Your rocking along bro. That's one stand up helper you got there. My 13 year old would never in a million years come near that stuff. Hell I can't even get her to wash dishes. Might mess up her nails. Lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    For Sale
    thanks for posting.....

After I took it out of the form I made some quick cuts with a hacksaw blade, no handle, I find the once you get it going straight it was easy to make a nice straight even cut. I was planning to go down 6" so I cut the first bag to that measurement and did a quick shape, took it out to the garage and mounted it on the bike while aired out. It looked way to high so I decided to cut the other bag a 7" down. Ah, looks much better. Here it is with a 7" down, aired out had me a little over 2" from the ground.

So, I went an added another inch to the first bag, and did the final shaping to get them both even. I was now ready to move onto stretching the fender. Well, that was until I was reading another post here and got thinking my bags are now too low. So I read a few more and made a post to get some feedback. That post is here:
    http://choppedbaggers.com/forums/sho...y-bags-too-low

I decided to take them back up to a 6" vertical drop and stretch them back a little further to keep the front and rear angle of the bags the same. I have to thank Woody for mentioning that in the other post. I am much happier with the lines of the bags now. OK, so now I am ready to move onto the rear fender. I marked a line and cut horizontally across the overlay fender, then held the fender at the angle to match the bags and marked what needed removed. I cut that out, threw a piece of carboard in and tape it tight to hold the angle, took it in and laid some fiberglass on the underside. This was my first time using fiberglass and the mat is much thicker than I expected. I am glad I did this now because I might want to remove some more foam to reduce the build up on foam parts. The next step is extending the bottom of the fender and this is where I am currently with this project.

SMOKE

Project G'Old S'Cool - build thread
    http://choppedbaggers.com/forums/sho...t-G-Old-S-Cool

Chopped Bagger Asset!
    Sweet job

Got the rear fender finished now its time to move on to the side covers. You don't realize how uneven these cheap fenders are until you get working on them. The angle of the picture makes the lines and curves look more uneven then they are, I still have to glass and fill. I will probably drive my self crazy this winter once I get to filling trying to get everything even, oh well keep me busy during my winter depression.

SMOKE

Project G'Old S'Cool - build thread
    http://choppedbaggers.com/forums/sho...t-G-Old-S-Cool

Site Supporter
    Damn dude, that looks great! You matched that sweep real nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Looking good man. I really dig the way you did the fender. May borrow some styling cues.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast