THANK YOU to all the members who have purchased a $10 subscription, You have been entered into the monthly drawing from CHOPPEDBAGGERS the best Bagger Forum in the world!! Drawing is the last day of each month!
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Project G'Old S'Cool

Iím not gonna put much back story here as this is all about the build and getting to what Iíve been after for a few years. Iíve been buying, fixing, modifying, and flipping bikes for the past couple years to raise funds for my Harley and this project. Here is what I started with:

1997 Ultra Classic with 50K, top end just rebuilt by Harley, picked it up from my local HD dealer for a steal.

I was hoping to do this project a year ago, but we decided to move 30 miles from Hummelstown to my wifeís hometown of Carlisle. This meant that last winterís project was getting the house ready for sale in the spring. So, the bagger project was put on hold, and Iím glad it was because after another year of lurking here the plan completely changed.

So here we go with project GíOld SíCool. Iím not sure why but I love Old School, bring the 50ís back (not that I was around then). I am a self employed kitchen and bath design and remodeling contractor, and my slogan is ďThe Quality and Craftsmanship of Old, Through the Tools and Technology of TodayĒ. Thatís where this build is going too, I want an old hot rod twist to a modern bagger. So far here is the plan:

23Ē Fat Spoke with white wall (started as a 21Ē but decided to just go 23)
    7* trees (probably rake next year)
    Rear DIY Air Ride
    New 4Ēoverlay fender - gonna add 2Ē more
    DIY stretch bags, side covers, tank, maybe more

""The Chopped Baggers Guy""
    Get it!!
    Thanks for being a part of my world..

http://www.shop.choppedbaggers.com

Like us on Facebook and share us with the WORLD!!!

Site Supporter
    Very cool, looking forward to seeing it done.

Site Supporter
    You know it. Let's rock it bro.

It's cool to see another evo build.

I started with the air ride and decided to go with the Gabrieles because I like the extra protection to the bags. This required reading 200+ pages of DIY Air Ride threads because I didn’t want to miss any important tip, which I did anyway because my valve is still not here. I made not in the air ride thread, make sure you know where your valve is shipping from because China is far away! I copied the pertinent information into another doc to reference when the time came while reading through the thread. I was planning on the HD switch but after reading another post about relays I decided to use my PTT button as both up and down, while utilizing the ACC switch to toggle between them. The PTT is air up and when the ACC switch is lit, the PTT is air out. Simple and no new switches needed. After installation I added air and found the viair gauge was leaking, so I little more work and good to go. I didn’t install the gauge until after testing everything.

Here is the wiring diagram:

I decided to move my ECM to behind my cruise module under the left cover to open up the right side for the air ride. I made a backing plate to mount everything to. I used all 1/8" air line that came with the Gabrieles and purchased all brass push connect fitting from the local truck supply place. They weren't cheap, but they're good and I don't have to worry about them. I got everything tested and just have to do the final routing and connections to the wires. I also placed some rubber tubing over the air line anywhere it would meet another surface.

A little lube will help push these bushings in easier:

Site Supporter
    Moving right along! I can't wait to see the color. Why are the eyelets on the shocks not parallel with each other?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I just noticed that also. My Monroe's I believe are a little off but just slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Shak View Post
    Moving right along! I can't wait to see the color. Why are the eyelets on the shocks not parallel with each other?

The one eyelet would rotate pretty easily. Damn you two are on the ball, I will have to have you over before paint.

Site Supporter
    Cool, I'm in. I just don't want to see the bag get twisted if you try to straighten it out.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast